My name is W. Caleb McDaniel. I’m an assistant professor of history at Rice University and a scholar of the nineteenth-century United States. I am also a Board Member and social media director for Historians Against Slavery.
My first book, The Problem of Democracy in the Age of Slavery: Garrisonian Abolitionists and Transatlantic Reform, was published by LSU Press in May 2013 and was awarded the 2014 Merle Curti Award for best book in American intellectual history.
- Remembering Henry: Refugeed Slaves in Civil War Texas | April 13, 2014
- Mining the BPL Anti-Slavery Collection on the Internet Archive | October 1, 2013
- How to Discuss a Book for History | August 19, 2013
- How Many Slaves Were Refugeed to Confederate Texas? | June 25, 2013
- Open Notebook History | May 22, 2013